.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bee Time Alone

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Reframing The Picture



Deuteronomy 32:7-12
As an eagle stirs up its nest, hovers over its young, spreading out its wings, . . . so the Lord alone led [Jacob]. —Deuteronomy 32:11-12


Reflection of B:
"Moses used eagle imagery to describe God. As eagles carry their young, God carries His people (Deut. 32:11-12). Despite how it may seem, the Lord “is not far from each one of us” (Acts 17:27). This is true even when we feel abandoned."
Reading today's devotion with the above verses caused me to be overwhelmed with emotion and tears. For a while, I felt so alone and "abandoned", yet I knew that God has been watching me and protecting me all the time from afar, perhaps. My recent job resignation has brought new lease of life for me...I felt so peaceful and relieved when I finally handed in my letter As I looked back in all my previous employments, I begin to analyze what it means to be a good leader (be it spiritual or corporate).

Someone shared recently that it's more difficult to lead a church of 3000 members, than to lead a corporation of 3000 staff, He explained that church members are volunteers with no benefits yet have to pay or contribute to the church, while staff of a corporation are being paid for their jobs.

I beg to differ! I feel that the same principle of motivation applies in leading these 2 different groups of people. For the church members to stay in the church without tangible benefits, their self-motivation (through their faith in God or in the bond of fellowship they have with their members) are even more lasting than the tangible benefits employees will have. Therefore, the leader of the church must be someone who knows how to motivate its congregation to remain and serve through intangible means (the spiritual, the emotional, the social).

One best example of a great leader is Jesus Christ. He called the outcasts, the fishermen, the tax collectors, etc, to follow Him and He changed them into great leaders.

So what now for me? Each time I wanted to start on my own business, some job offers would come to entice me away from that idea. But now, I have decided to be self-employed, something which I have been postponing for the last few years. All my work experiences have more or less prepared me for this day, though I know it will not be easy. I need God's grace and guidance, and I hope to have more time and chances to impact people's lives through it all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home